There is talk that WWE and Rey Mysterio are still working on a deal that will see the masked luchador return to WWE on the regular basis. Since that deal hasn’t happened yet, the best Rey and his fans can do is remember back to earlier this year when he made an appearance in WWE at the 2018 Royal Rumble.
When his music hit it was a legitimate surprise to the WWE audience who is hard to surprise these days. He lasted all the way until the final six competitors and at that time, a staredown of old school versus new school happened, in what felt like a very real and impromptu moment. It was Mysterio. John Cena and Randy Orton left to staredown Roman Reigns, Finn Balor and Shinsuke Nakamura. Mysterio recalls that moment fondly.
Mysterio relived that match during an interview with ESPN. He said:
“It didn’t hit me until after when people were saying, ‘that moment you guys had with you the three, the old generation vs. the new generation.” I was like, ‘Wow. It was definitely one of those moments you could feel the intensity. You could feel the fans wanting to see something go down. It’s almost the moment that’s gonna happen this Saturday with Liger and Tanahashi and myself being in there with the future of the sport for New Japan.”
Mysterio will be competing in a match this Saturday for New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Dominion.
After Dominion, Rey has some other dates on his calendar, but always floating around is a deal that he wants to get done with Vince McMahon’s company. He says he’s working on it and negotiations have “been going back and forth” but says the best he can offer any company is twice a week. If a part-time schedule can be worked out, Mysterio is more than open to a return.
He should be able to offer WWE something considering the shape he’s currently in. He looks better than he has in years and he’s out to prove fans who watch him will get to see the Rey Mysterio of old.